Engraved Calculator!

One day I had the idea engrave calulators with a V-carve bit.

I started with my own, just in case something went terribly wrong.

Dai Gurren logo from the anime Gurren Laggan for my friend Matt, I rubbed some wax into it to highlight the engraving-

And last but not least, a Narwal on my friend Kelly’s calculator!


One common project in my school’s Honors Engineering class is to make inlays.

Basically, you take a CAD file and separate it into two halves- areas to inlay a material and pieces made from a contrasting material to nest in a base.

Back in January I made the Intel logo for my Honors Engineering midterm:

To start I needed a base, and to make the base so I used the Raster to Vector function in Mastercam, and pocketed out my newly born vector/dwg file. I used a piece of oak for this first part.


Next off, I took the outside of the chain and gave it a 200th of an inch offset inwards, in order for my inlayed pieces to fit! This time with some Cherry:


The next logical step was is to sand the cherry to be flush with the oak, and hope that the sawdust will fill in any unintentional cracks or outlines This surely did the trick, after I had a nice smoothly sanded surface, I applied many many coats of polyurethane and admired my work.


I’ve even reverse engineered the cutouts for a drop-through truck on my Omen Pike Longboard, and make what I call a Pike-Plug to covert the drop deck into a topmount board

Another inlay of mine was a nameplate for my spanish teacher, Sr. Rameriez

And here’s an Android logo, done with hardwood and polycarbonate, backlit with Green LEDs-

Prom Invitation

How does one go about asking a crush to a Junior Prom? I wanted to ask her to the prom with something that was memorable, impressive, and certainly one-of-a-kind.

With a basic criteria in mind, I knew I would need my Pink 1/8th acrylic sheeting, some 10-32 bolts, a nice chunk of high density polyethylene from a cutting board, a momentary contact switch, battery holder, and most importantly; around 40 green LEDs.

What exactly does one concoct with this pile of materials?

Now to rewind to my usual buildlog:

From the start, I drilled holes for LEDs to spell out ‘Prom?’ in a piece of polycarbonate

And wired the diods together

Next, I had to come up with a way to make my message a surprise for her, so I put a piece of printer paper in front of it, sandwiching that between polycarbonate and tinted acrylic.

But the idea of that actually working was just speculative, I had no actual idea of whether or not the lighting would still shine through, so I naturally yanked the 3v battery from my phone and tested my invitation out.


And on top of everything else here, I had a date to the Prom!

Fixing the super proLIGHT 1000

At school this week I set out to get the ancient intelitek proLIGHT mill back to running order.
To start, I checked out all the motor-brushes and fuses.

The brush for the Z-Axis needed to be cleaned up, and the fuse on the controller was out of place.

After a little TLC, I had it back into mostly operational order. The next logical step was to play with some Aluminum and MasterCAM!

So I made the NC code to cut “CT” in some scrap

Closer in-


Combination catapult & trebuchet

For Honors Engineering we were instructed to make a catapult design that could be sold as a flat-pack kit. For some reason, the class as a whole lost momentum on these projects and none reached completion, but mine was fairly finalized

Delrin works better than Baltic Birch, I hope…

Now for the arm…