One day I had the idea engrave calulators with a V-carve bit. I started with my own, just in case something went terribly wrong.
Here’s another one featuring a logo from the popular TV show, Gurren Laggan, for my friend Matt. I rubbed some red wax into it the engraving and then clear-coated the cover to highlight and protect the engraving –
And last but not least, a Narwal on my friend Kelly’s calculator!
One common project in my school’s Honors Engineering course was to make inlays with our Techno CNC Router. Like so –
Basically, we took a CAD file and separated it into two halves – a base with pockets to inlay material into and inserts that nested in the base. The results could be quite stunning when a project was well executed!
Back in January I made the Intel logo for my Honors Engineering midterm:
To start I needed a base, and to make the base so I used the Raster to Vector function in Mastercam, and pocketed out my newly born vector/dwg file. I used a piece of oak for this first part.
Next off, I took the outside of the chain and gave it a 200th of an inch offset inwards, in order for my inlayed pieces to fit! This time with some Cherry:
The next logical step was is to sand the cherry to be flush with the oak, and hope that the sawdust will fill in any unintentional cracks or outlines This surely did the trick, after I had a nice smoothly sanded surface, I applied many many coats of polyurethane and admired my work.
I’ve even reverse engineered the cutouts for a drop-through truck on my Omen Pike Longboard, and make what I call a Pike-Plug to covert the drop deck into a topmount board
Another inlay of mine was a nameplate for my spanish teacher, Sr. Rameriez
And here’s an Android logo, done with hardwood and polycarbonate, backlit with Green LEDs-
My good friend in Chicago recently asked me to help him get motivated with a MIT logo for his desk, and I was happy to oblige.
Initial CAD/CAM work:
It’s so pretty!
How does one go about asking a crush to a Junior Prom? I wanted to do something that was memorable, impressive, and certainly one-of-a-kind.
With a basic criteria in mind, I knew I would need my Pink 1/8th acrylic sheeting, some 10-32 bolts, a nice chunk of high density polyethylene from a cutting board, a momentary contact switch, battery holder, and most importantly; around 40 green LEDs.
What exactly does one concoct with this pile of materials? Well, let me show you!
From the start, I drilled holes for LEDs to spell out ‘Prom?’ in a piece of polycarbonate
And wired the diods together
Next, I had to come up with a way to make my message a surprise for her, so I put a piece of printer paper in front of it, sandwiching that between polycarbonate and tinted acrylic.
But the idea of that actually working was just speculative, I had no actual idea of whether or not the lighting would still shine through, so I naturally yanked the 3v battery from my phone and tested my invitation out.
I hope you liked this! Maybe this will give some of you good inspiration.
For Mother’s Day, I made my mom a sign that reads “Dr.Chapar” in acrylic, and has green LEDs lighting it up.
Finished and ready for her office-
For Honors Engineering we were instructed to make a catapult design that could be sold as a flat-pack kit. For some reason, the class as a whole lost momentum on these projects and none reached completion, but mine was fairly finalized
Delrin works better than Baltic Birch, I hope…
Now for the arm…