Trophy for the 2nd Anual Greenwich Slide Jam

Preemptively, I got excited by the idea of UnhappySk8 sponsoring the slide-jam event after the first one, last year, was such a success.

To start, I tore apart a perfectly good Trophy I urged my dad to buy me when I graduated Pre-School…

I put a hole in it for a button to sit in the base.

Then, I ran wires out of the base-

Now up the columns of the Trophy, I played around with keeping the gold piece at the top, but I ultimately tossed it.

To make this award shine, I soldered up one of my LED slide pucks, and casted it in polyester resin

I now had a Led infused resin puck at the top of my trophy!

Here it is all lit up:

I snuck a transparency of the UnhappySk8 logo in the resin as it dried.

And finally, here’s the trophy is at the Greenwich 2nd Annual Slide Jam!

Prom Invitation

How does one go about asking a crush to a Junior Prom? I wanted to do something that was memorable, impressive, and certainly one-of-a-kind.

With a basic criteria in mind, I knew I would need my Pink 1/8th acrylic sheeting, some 10-32 bolts, a nice chunk of high density polyethylene from a cutting board, a momentary contact switch, battery holder, and most importantly; around 40 green LEDs.

What exactly does one concoct with this pile of materials? Well, let me show you!

From the start, I drilled holes for LEDs to spell out ‘Prom?’ in a piece of polycarbonate


And wired the diods together

Next, I had to come up with a way to make my message a surprise for her, so I put a piece of printer paper in front of it, sandwiching that between polycarbonate and tinted acrylic.

But the idea of that actually working was just speculative, I had no actual idea of whether or not the lighting would still shine through, so I naturally yanked the 3v battery from my phone and tested my invitation out.


Perfect!

I hope you liked this! Maybe this will give some of you good inspiration.

Fixing a Super proLIGHT 1000 CNC Mill

At school this week I set out to get the ancient intelitek proLIGHT mill back to running order.
To start, I checked out all the motor-brushes and fuses.

The brush for the Z-Axis needed to be cleaned up, and the fuse on the controller was out of place.

After a little TLC, I had it back into mostly operational order. The next logical step was to play with some Aluminum and MasterCAM!

So I made the NC code to cut “CT” in some scrap

Closer in-

 

Whiteout Gloves Packaging!

I just recently got packaging of the finished slide gloves setup, I just put them in a Zip-loc bag with a custom made label stapled over the top, but simplicity is never a bad thing!

And I have eight more pairs almost ready

Dipping Jig

In order to apply 2 coats of Plastic Dip to the fingers of my gloves to retain speed, repeatability, and cleanness, I devised a pretty efficient jig to hold all four fingers in place.





This makes the work go so much easier, and faster to boot!
See all of the process on Youtube here-
Making of the Slide Gloves

Testing puck materials

The past week I’ve been playing with different material for the slide pucks.
So far I’ve tested-

  • Delrin
    • Slid like butter, but too slippery to bother with
  • Corian (Acrylic)
    • These chip
    • They’re loud
    • Heavy
      • They’ll work for now.
  • Low Density Polyethylene
  • Cast Epoxy Resin

I’ve even go as far as to try Epoxy resin pucks with 3v Green LEDs embedded in them.

These are demanding to make, slide poorly, and seem to be prone to shattering. On the other hand though (HA!), these pucks make skating at night much safer, cars can see me signal from afar.

Prototype Board

So I really wanted to make an aluminum honey combed board after being inspired by a brand called Cindrich. I set out to CAD it after quickly realizing I could one-up this company and I didn’t even have the money to just buy the one I linked to so instead I modeled it in Inventor:
Board1

The next step was to scale it down and CAM out a prototype in Mastercam
board2

I cut down my stock of Lexan and let the CNC machine go to work.


I have now hit a roadblock, seeing as the billet of 6061 aluminum needed to make this board would run me $200. On top of that, I need to find a machineshop that would be willing to help me machine this without charging an exorbitant amount of money. Besides the inherent costs, I’d be left with a fairly boring longboard, without an industrial sized press I’d have a board with neither rocker nor concave; and that’s no fun.

1951 Van Norman Milling Machine

I was browsing Craigslist one day when I found a 1951 Van Norman milling machine for $500. This was a 2000lb beast of cast iron machinery, but I had to have it.

Unfortunately for me, it was in Long Island. Luckily, my Grandpa had a Ford King Ranch Pickup Truck at the time, and he was willing to give it a stress-test!

After a 2 hour drive we were at our destination and there was a fork-lift dropping this mammoth into the truck.

We tried to drive on the highway with it, but we were terribly scared by the idea of it falling into the cab of the truck, so naturally we fled to the Ferry to Bridgeport.

From there we were in Bridgeport with a giant machine stuck in the bed of this truck. Fortunately my grandfather has a small warehouse for his old cars, and the next door tennet had a forklift! After stalling a few weeks, we had to get this thing from Bridgeport to Old Greenwich without a forklift.

We could drive the truck to my house, but we couldn’t possibly unload the machine off the truck. After some careful thinking, we agreed on renting a truck with a lift gate… We figured that we could load it onto the truck, and when we got it to my house, we could rock the machine to the gate and use movers to get it in the garage. This didn’t go so smoothly, but it did work!

What the shop in Greenwich looks like now –